Did you know that the world produces more than 380 million tonnes of plastic every year. In the United States, we throw away 35 billion plastic bottles alone every year and only 25% is recycled. What can we do to help? Stop using single use plastics, recycle, reuse or UPCYCLE!
What is a terrarium? A terrarium is like a miniature garden, with soil and plants, usually kept inside a sealable container.
All you need is:
- A clear plastic bottle, you can use any size available (the bigger the more plants!!)
- Potting Soil
- Smaller Plants (you use plants or weeds from your yard)
- Clear packing tape
- Wash and thoroughly rinse bottle. Remove all labels.
What to do:
- Cut the plastic bottle in a little less than half, about 5 inches from the bottom. (Depending on what size bottle you use, this could vary)
- Cut a notch in the cut edge of the bottom half of the bottle. Slightly overlap notched edge and secure with packing tape. Doing this will make it easier to put the bottle back together.
- Fill bottom half of bottle halfway with potting soil and add a couple of plants. You can also add rocks, to help with keep the plants from sitting in too much water, as well as shells, or small plastic figurines, if you want!
- Lightly mist plants with water then replace the cap. Keep it in a good spot for the plants light requirements.
- Enjoy your new plant friend!